Immigration Hardship Waivers | Permission to Re-enter | Milwaukee, WI


Blackwell Law Group S.C.


Keeping Families Together

Proudly serving families in Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, Waukesha, Appleton, Oshkosh, Green Bay, Manitowoc and nearby towns since 2006.

facebook logo-blue twitter logo-blue box Google + square red large


131 W. Layton Ave, Ste 201

Milwaukee, WI 53207

When the Government Says You Are "Inadmissible"

Most common reasons for being inadmissible

Living unlawfully in the U.S. for more than 180  days 


Certain criminal convictions


Lying to gain an immigration benefit         (e.g. a visa, entry to the U.S.) or false         claims of U.S. citizenship


Re-entering the U.S. illegally after living unlawfully in the U.S. for more than 180 days


Prior deportation order


Certain health conditions


Smuggling someone into the U.S.


Hardship waivers

The hardship waiver requires proving a spouse or parent (who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) will suffer extreme hardship if the waiver is not approved.  The extreme hardship is that of moving to another country as well as that of being separated.


If the inadmissibility never expires, then approval of a hardship waiver is the only way to return to the U.S.


For an inadmissibility that expires after a certain period of time (e.g. 3 years, 5 years or 10 years), the hardship waiver allows you to come back sooner.



Permission to re-enter

Similar to a hardship waiver, "permission to enter" allows for the return of people who have removal orders and want to come back early as well as people who are convicted of certain crimes known as “aggravated felonies.”


A common misunderstanding is that someone with a removal order must wait until 10 or 20 years have passed before filing the permission to re-enter.  The application can be filed immediately.


Permission to re-enter is also for people who were required to live outside the U.S. for 10 years because they illegally re-entered the U.S. after unlawfully living in the U.S. for more than a year.  


The U.S. government has laws that determine who is allowed to enter the country.  If the government decides you are "inadmissible," that means you cannot lawfully live in the U.S.   If you are not in the U.S. when the government decides you are inadmissible, you will not be allowed to enter the country.  If you are here already, you may be forced to leave.


Sometimes you can request an exception to the law that says you are inadmissible.  The request for an exception is called a “waiver of inadmissibility” or a "hardship waiver" or "el perdón." Blackwell Law Group has helped over 100 families reunite through successful preparation of hardship waivers.


We do both the regular hardship waivers that are filed after an immigration interview and the provisional hardship waiver that is filed before an immigration interview.


When you first meet with us, we will be able to tell you whether the government is likely to say you are "inadmissible," whether you are eligible to request an exception to the law and whether you can request the exception before your immigration interview.

A happy family Latin family immigration Naturalized happy family Having US citizenship Latin family immigration A happy naturalized family Approved to re-enter US